me -

everything & anything that motivates me to be healthy.... day in, day out.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

November 30, 2011

 

weeeeeeeeeeee going to Phuket in a few months :)
so far we have decided on an 8 day planned tour and 5 or so days doing our own thing and 
staying in fancy schmancy hotels. i am so excited to be able to explore a different culture and finally
go on a holiday!! let alone an overseas one AND with nick  :)

 

i'm sorry i've been MIA lately... have been very busy juggling time between training, looking after my little brother,
work and bridesmaid duties (wedding was on last weekend). 
butttttt things are going back to normal this week so I should have more time to blog.

 

 

Best Foods to Eat Before & After Running a Marathon

[link] 

 

What to Eat the Night Before a Marathon: Quinoa Salad with Fresh Parsley, Walnuts, and Raisins with Grilled Chicken
 
This nutty quinoa salad has enough carbohydrates to top off your body’s
energy stores, so you’ll be fully fueled to run 26.2 miles in the morning. The quinoa, walnuts, and grilled chicken also provide fiber, fat, and protein, all of which keep you feeling satisfied but not stuffed so that you can get a good night’s sleep in preparation for race day.  
[i tried Quinoa last night.  Except I bought the flakes instead of the granules.  The consistency was more like oatmeal than couscous so it was a bit strange to eat for dinner but I didn't mind the taste.  But it might be better off as a breakfast thing mixed with some banana or something.  I will try the granule-like quinoa soon and let you know what it's like.  You can buy it from Woolies or Coles :)]

 

What to Eat for Breakfast Before Running a Marathon: Immune-Boosting Shake
Running a marathon puts a huge amount of stress on your immune system. The morning of your race, mix up a healthy smoothie containing whey protein, strawberries, orange juice, walnuts, and 10 grams of the amino acid glutamine. The glutamine combined with
vitamin C from strawberries and orange juice will help keep your immune system strong from start to finish—and long after. 



What to Eat Immediately After Running a Marathon: Carbohydrate + Protein Recovery Drink
Recovery drinks that include protein (often whey protein) and carbohydrates (including glucose, sucrose, fructose, and maltodextrin) help mend your muscles faster than sports drinks with carbohydrates alone (think Gatorade, All Sport, and Powerade). 

An easy way to tell the difference: Sports drinks for hydration have about 50 to 70 calories per 8-ounce serving, whereas a nutrition drink for recovery will provide closer to 200 or 300 calories per serving. The higher calorie count is a result of more nutrients. To put the brakes on muscle damage and jump-start your recovery, reach for a recovery drink right after you cross the finish line. 



What to Eat 60 to 90 minutes After a Marathon: Greek Yogurt with Granola, Blueberries, and Raspberries
 
Running 26.2 miles depletes your body’s antioxidant reserves, which is why choosing the right post-marathon foods is so important. The blueberries and raspberries in this snack deliver the necessary antioxidants to fight damage to your DNA due to stress from the big race. The granola contains carbohydrates to help replenish your muscles’ energy stores. Finally, Greek yogurt has twice as much protein as regular yogurt, providing your muscles with much-needed building for repair and recovery. 

[obviously you don't have to apply these tips to just running a marathon... you could also use them for intense workouts :)] 
 

 

 

sooo yesterday I couldn't make it to the gym so I thought I would improvise. here is a photo of what I came up with :
 

Jillian Michaels workout DVD, dumbbells (yes i know they're small but i was improvising :P ), wrist weights and body weight.
laptop was on the floor because I was doing abs haha.  it wasnt the most intense workout ever but i made the best of what i had! 
the other day, all i had was 20kg bar + weights, a stability ball, my body weight, my medicine ball and my skipping rope.  again, i couldnt make it to the gym so here was my makeshift workout:

3 rounds:
20 Thrusters (20 kg)
20 single handed medicine ball push ups (10 each arm)
20 bench presses on the Stability Ball
20 Burpees
20 Double Unders
20 jump squats

Tabata Knees to Elbows
(8 rounds - 20 second work/10 seconds rest)

and finished off with a few yoga poses which you dont need equipment for.

it was a quick, simple workout that got my heart rate up and my body sweating. again, it goes to show you dont need the gym! if you dont have equipment, then either go buy some because seriously, theyre not that expensive OR google body weight exercises.  then have fun & create your own circuit :)


posted this one facebook last week .. 
"if i can do it, anyone can. no matter if it's 5, 10 50 or 100 kgs you want to lose. put your mind to it and gooooooo. this took a bit of courage to post - myself 10 kgs or so heavier. up and down journey of weight loss weight gain, eating badly, binging, purging and finally finding a balance and treating my body with respect."
 
i know some people think that I have always been small and petite. i have not always been this size and though i wasn't too overweight, i did have some changes and improvements to make. i went through my own crazy journey of cutting down on food and increasing exercise and getting down to a nice size.  after that, compliments came, my head blew up and i wanted more.  i REALLY cut down on food, was over exercising (sometimes at midnight), and definitely under-eating.  my brain was obsessed with counting kilojoules and being skin & bones. then i would starve, binge on a LOT of food, throw up, cut myself because I was guilty, then start the whole process again. my weight was UP then waay down, i was hungry then bulging with fullness, i was tired, i was irritated, i was angry, i was NOT happy. it has taken me YEARS to find a balance. the biggest lesson i have learnt is to see food as neither bad or good, but as something that helps me function, something to help keep me ALIVE.  i choose food that will help me get through the day feeling my best. i treat myself a little bit, i enjoy it, i move on without punishing myself.  i gotta stop babbling but my point is, if i can go through all that and come out strong, you can too.  /end preach :)
 
 


 
 
 











No comments:

Post a Comment