me -

everything & anything that motivates me to be healthy.... day in, day out.

Monday, July 11, 2011

July 11, 2011


good advice :)



True or False: Coronary artery disease (CAD) is the leading cause of death in the United States for both men and women.

  • True
  • False

Explanation

Nearly 70% of Americans don't get enough exercise, yet inactivity is a major risk factor for developing coronary artery disease (CAD). CAD is caused by deposits of fatty substances, cholesterol, calcium and other substances in the inner lining of the arteries that supply blood to the heart muscle. This build-up makes the arteries narrowed or blocked, and when oxygen-rich blood can't reach the heart, the result is chest pain or a heart attack. Over time, CAD can weaken the heart muscle and lead to heart failure.

While CAD is the most common type of heart disease and the leading cause of death in the United States for both men and women, the good news is that lifestyle changes—like exercise!—can help prevent or treat CAD in most people.


Osteoporosis (bone loss) is a common concern for aging women who can help prevent it by:


  • A - Getting vitamin D from sunlight, food and supplements
  • B - Taking a multivitamin daily
  • C - Eating a diet rich in calcium
  • D - Performing regular exercise
  • All of the above
  • C and D only
  • A, C, and D only

Explanation

Osteoporosis is a potentially debilitating, yet preventable condition. Calcium and Vitamin D intake and regular, weight-bearing exercise are just a few of the ways you can prevent it.


True or False: Aerobic exercise decreases HDL cholesterol.

  • True
  • False



Explanation

HDL cholesterol is the "good" cholesterol. Aerobic exercise increases HDL (good) cholesterol and decreases LDL (bad) cholesterol.


‎"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." -unknown








Why I Got Started
I have been overweight all my life, or for as long as I can remember. I used food to celebrate, to mourn, out of boredom, and for comfort. My story begins like so many do for women in this country. I found myself in an abusive relationship that threatened my very life, and ultimately my children's lives.
I found my only solace in the food that I ate. I felt that the only thing I had control over in my life was the food I put in my mouth. I found my salvation through overeating and subsequently developed an addiction to food. Food was my addiction, just as alcohol is to an alcoholic. I had lost control over myself physically and was pretending to be happy.

I woke up 5 years ago, homeless in a battered women's shelter with nothing but the clothes on my back. My two children needed me to be healthy, both inside and out. I'm no expert, but I think the majority of addicts have to hit rock bottom in order to make a change.

I have tried every "fad" diet on the market. I bought into every quick fix and every infomercial that told me I was guaranteed to lose weight "or my money back." I tried every diet pill, both over the counter and prescription.

Out of desperation, I was willing to try anything. If I really concentrate, I cannot remember a time in my life that I was not trying the new diet or pill on the market. I was on a quest to change my life. I knew I had to make a revolutionary life change.




How I Did It
I never liked to call it a diet because I guess in the past, all of the other "fad diets" never worked for me. After going on a "diet," I gained all the weight back I had lost, and usually more. I am sure so many others out there can relate to that. So, I needed to make it a complete 360 degree revolutionary lifestyle change.
I found out through changing how I ate, when I ate, and how often I ate, that I could still eat the foods I liked without feeling deprived. I have incorporated nutrition management as part of my mission to help others. I believe that this a crucial step to success. Without changing how you eat and how you think about food, you will never lose the weight.

When I finally stopped letting food control me and my life, and I was able to take control over food and how I felt about it; the weight dropped off - and all without calling it a diet. I lost the first 100 lbs in my living room. The second 100 lbs was lost by joining a gym in which I included some resistance training.
The third 100 lbs is when I started incorporating free weights and I was hooked! Once I started my transformation, I never fell back into bad habits. I traded one addiction for another. I traded my addiction to an old, unhealthy lifestyle, for one centered on fitness.



BOX JUMPS

(from Men's fitness mag April 2010)
"This exercise is great for developing explosive speed from the lower body.
Stand in front of a 30-60 cm box with your feet shoulder width apart.
Jump up onto the box and land with a soft, quiet landing.
With time, you can increase the height of the step and start to add 90 degrees
rotation to the jump."


I love this quote because it reminds me of the time when I managed to lose
weight during an overseas holiday.  all I had was a 1m x 1m square space and 1 pair of dumbbells.
all over a 3 week period.  goes to show you don't need fancy stuff if you have a 
bit of imagination :)


IMPROVE YOUR RUNNING

Plyometric drills will improve your running efficiency and speed.
A recent study in the European Journal of Applied Physiology found that jumping drills can lead to an improvement  in running speed because they strengthen the legs, which results in enhanced economy and great efficiency.  They suggested:

SPLIT-SQUAT JUMP


Start in a lunge position and jump up & forwards, pushing off the front leg.  
Land in the lunge position with the opposite leg forwards.
-----------------------------------------------

SKIPPING


Like you're 10 years old again, jump up explosively, skipping as high as you can 
and minimizing your time on the ground.

-----------------------------------------------

STANDING LONG JUMP


Swing your arms back, squat and jump as far forwards as possible, landing on both feet.

--------------------------------


















No comments:

Post a Comment