True or False: Besides foods fortified with calcium, you can only get calcium from dairy foods like milk and yogurt.
ExplanationYou can find calcium in many dairy-free foods, from almonds to tofu. Collard greens, black-eyed peas, blackstrap molasses, kale and oranges are a few more plant-based sources of calcium.
Insulin resistance occurs in the early stages of type 2 diabetes. What does insulin resistance mean?
- The pancreas resists the signals to produce insulin
- Glucose in the bloodstream doesn't respond to insulin
ExplanationIn the early stages of type 2 diabetes, the pancreas is still manufacturing insulin, but for some reason the cells of the body are not using it properly--a condition known as insulin resistance. In response, the pancreas produces more and more insulin, wearing itself out and eventually losing its ability to produce insulin to keep blood glucose levels in the normal range.
(good health august 2009)
Do you go to the gym during your lunchbreak? Then choose a Low GI breakfast,
like porridge and berries, and you'll double the amount of fat your burn during your workout,
according to research conducted at the University of Nottingham in the UK.
Here are the details:
- Eight women of a healthy body weight were given a 1113 kj low
GI breakfast that consisted of sugar-free muesli, skimmed milk, yoghurt,
fruit and apple juice.
- Three hours later they went on a 3 hour walk.
- During that walk, they burned off twice as much fat as when they were given a high GI
breakfast of cornflakes, white bread with jam and a sugary drink.
The low GI group also felt fuller for longer.
i knew there was a reason why
i loved my toasted muesli + yoghurt so much
in the morning (apart from the fact that it
tastes SO good).
other low GI brekkies include:
- rye bread with light peanut butter
- rye/wholemeal bread with avocado and
- yoghurt and fruit
- protein shake or smoothie (fruit added)
- weetbix with skim milk, chopped fruit and a drizzle of honey
^ another low gi high protein breakfast idea
hahahaha not exactly health-related but i HATE it when that happens!!! :p